Rhinoplasty is the common term for nose surgery whether it is done for cosmetic or functional reasons. Patients may choose to undergo this procedure for the following reasons:
- To decrease the size of a large nose
- To decrease the width of the nose
- Reduce a hump on the top of the nose
- Increase the tip of a drooping nose
- Correct crooked appearing nose
- Decrease excessively flared nostrils
The goal is not to change the entire look of a person but rather to create a nose that is proportional to the rest the face. The procedure can be done open, where incisions are placed externally or closed, where incisions are only placed inside of the nose. The technique used will depend on condition of a patients nose and the particular structures that need to be changed.